In January, the Grain Foods Foundation (GFF) trustees agreed to refocus the organization by:
- Adopting a new model of influencing the influencers and backing off direct-to-consumer efforts. This will include targeting key influencer audiences such as the American Medical Association, School Nutrition Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly American Dietetic Association) and nutrition and health-related organizations like the March of Dimes, National Hispanic Health Foundation and the National Council on Folic Acid.
- Continuing to use the Scientific Advisory Board chaired by Judi Adams.
- Providing more immediate and clear rapid response messages.
- Setting up crisis management reserves. The revamped Marketing Committee is leaner and more focused and will work with the industry to craft a united industry message to neutralize attacks. NAMA members on this committee include: Sheryl Stennett of Cargill and Don Brown of ConAgra.
- Relocating the GFF office to Washington, D.C.
- Hiring a new Executive Director. Allen Shiver, Flower Foods; Breck Barton, Cereal Food Processors, Inc.; Robb MacKie, American Bakers Association; and Mary Waters, NAMA have developed a position description to be circulated and will work on hiring a replacement this summer.
Beck Barton is Co-Chair with Allen Shiver. Milling trustees are John Gillcrist, Bartlett Milling; Bill Stoufer, ConAgra Mills; Dan Dye, Horizon Milling/Cargill; and Charlie Stout, Milner Milling/PFM/Southeastern Mills, ex officio.
Prepared by Mary Waters, President, 202.484.2200, ext. 11, [email protected]
Last updated May 2012